Six years in the making, the Student Union is the largest project in the history of the university. The building will be complete when the second phase opens to the campus community Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
The 395,088-square-foot-building is intended to be the community center of campus, created and designed with students in mind. The offices and services available within the Student Union will make it easier for you to access the things you need on a daily basis.
Ian Crone, director of the Student Union, wants the space to be a place that invites and welcomes all.
“The Student Union is not just a building. We want this to be a place for people to come and hang out with friends. I see this space as a home away from home for students,” Crone said. “This space really serves as a crossroad between a student’s classes and their residence hall or off-campus housing.”
New and Returning Offices and Services
The Student Union will serve as a central location for many of the offices you regularly use, including a number of Division of Student Life offices:
- Center for Leadership and Service
- Center for Student Engagement
- Office of the Dean of Students
- Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life
- Student Government Association
- Student Union Administration and Student Union Event Services
Some of the other special features in the building:
- Welcome area information desk. When you walk in the front entrance of the Student Union, you’ll find an information desk where staff can answer your questions about the space and point you in the right direction.
- Undergraduate Admissions Welcome Center. Prospective students and families will start their campus visit from the Student Union.
- Steak ‘n Shake and Rising Roll dining locations. The dining area has more than 140 seats to choose from when grabbing a meal with your friends from one of the two restaurants.
- Union Station student recreation area. This area will feature video gaming, billiards, and table tennis, as well as space for small events.
- Student art gallery.The gallery will include student work as well as traveling exhibits.
- Student organization suite. This area focuses on learning and leadership development while also providing a comfortable place for you to relax.
- UT Federal Credit Union branch location.
- ATM machines for UT Federal Credit Union, First Tennessee Bank, and Bank of America.
UCopy Printing and Design, a US Post Office branch, a passport processing center, and the Central Ticket Office also will be available in the Student Union. Some of these services may open at a later date because details are still being finalized.