Active UT employees now can opt out of receiving paper W-2 forms and instead receive an electronic version.
The electronic W-2 forms have several benefits:
- Enhanced security. The online form is accessed using your NetID and password, and is presented via a secure protocol in the My IRIS Web portal. Sensitive personal information is not sent through regular mail.
- Electronic forms are available online sooner than forms sent by mail.
- Less waste. The reduction of paper use supports the university’s sustainability goals.
- Cost savings. The reduction of paper use and postage saves money for the university.
The IRS requires that an employee specifically acknowledge an agreement to receive only electronic forms. Employees who want to receive electronic W-2s can initiate the process through the My IRIS Web portal:
- Click the “Employee Self Service”
- Click on “Directory” or “Index.”
- Click “W-2 Opt out of paper.”
- Click “Receive Form W-2/W-2c only in paper.” A new section titled “Election Details” will open up at the bottom of the screen.
- Click “Receive W-2 online.”
- On the confirmation pop-up, click “OK.”
This election period is now open. If you choose to receive electronic forms, that choice will apply to future W-2 forms until you choose to revert back to the paper form. An election period will be available each year before W-2s are distributed.
No action is necessary for staff members who wish to continue receiving paper W-2 forms. Active employees also can confirm their mailing addresses or make changes through My IRIS. Inactive employees will continue to receive paper forms by mail.
The distribution of W-2 forms will be announced at a later date.