Between Halloween costumes, decorations, and candy, there are a few simple ways to eliminate extra waste and make the holiday as green as it is fun.
Here are a few tips to help green Halloween from the UT Office of Sustainability:
- Consider reusing or updating a costume from previous years or make a costume out of clothes and materials you already have in your closet.
- Host a costume swap—this way you and your family or friends get new costumes without spending a dime.
- Shop at thrift stores—they could have what you need at a fraction of the price.
- Find candy that has recyclable wrappers—or, better yet, wrappers already made from recycled materials.
- Use recycled paper to make window decorations, then send them on for another round of recycling after the holiday.
- Consider using LED lights or solar powered garden lamps to light your path on Halloween night.
Students, faculty, staff, and members of the community are invited to learn more about how to live more sustainably during Halloween and year-round at UT’s Sustainability Day Celebration from noon to 4:00 p.m. Thursday, October 22, at the Humanities and Social Sciences Amphitheatre.
Vendors and exhibitors from around Knoxville will participate with products, information, and games to share ideas for local action and showcase environmental leadership. Attendees will have the opportunity to speak with student organizations including EcoVols and the Environment and Sustainability Committee, community exhibitors including Ijams Nature Center and General Motors, and local vendors including Ecotopia and Reclaiming Your Roots.
The Office of Sustainability will introduce a passport program this year, providing free food through a number of local vendors. Participants can pick up a free passport from the office’s booth, then visit the various exhibitors, activities, and vendors, getting their passport stamped at each stop. Attendees can redeem their passport for free food items from Good Golly Tamale, Dale’s Fried Pies, SPEAK Veggie Burgers, VietGrill, and I Love Juice Bar.
For more information on Sustainability Day, visit the Sustainability website.
Those interested in volunteering at Sustainability Day can sign up here.