The Ready for the World Cafe will journey to France on Thursday, October 23 and October 30.
The luncheons will be held at 11:30 a.m. in the UT Visitors Center, 2712 Neyland Drive.
Lunch typically consists of an intermezzo or small appetizer, salad, entrée, and dessert. Each meal is carefully themed and the menu and recipes selected are a direct reflection of each region’s food culture. Student chefs are being graded on a preset theme, so the menu won’t allow for any substitutions.
The luncheons are produced through a collaboration between HRT 445 (the Advanced Food Production and Service Management class), the UT Culinary Institute, and the Pellissippi Culinary Institute.
Cost is $12 and advance tickets are required. For tickets, see Marcia Johnson in Jessie Harris Building Room 110, call 865-974-6645, or e-mail email@example.com. Cash, checks, and credit cards are accepted.
The menu for the October 23 luncheon:
- First course: Steak tartare
- Second course: Frisee salad with poached egg and lardons (pork pieces)
- Third course: Beef tenderloin au poivre served with pommes Anna (potatoes) and braised leeks
- Fourth course: Saint Andre and Fol Epi cheeses with figs
- Fifth course: Cream puffs with Chantilly cream
The menu for the October 30 luncheon:
- First course: Duck confit salad (mesclun, shredded duck confit, candied walnuts, warm sherry Chardonnay vinaigrette)
- Second course: Pate maison (duck liver pate)
- Third course: Pan-seared duck breast with cherries served with pureed pommes de terre (potatoes) and sauteed haricot verts (French green beans)
- Fourth course: Cheese—gourmandize with walnuts and Roquefort
- Fifth course: Clafouti (a French country dessert consisting of a mixture of fresh fruit baked in a pancake-like batter. It is served hot or cold, most commonly using cherries, but plums and peaches also can be used.)
The remaining dates and themes are as follows:
- November 13—Japan
- November 20—Thailand
- December 4—Spain
Marcia Lane (for tickets): (865-974-6645, firstname.lastname@example.org)