Skip to main content

If your department or division hires full-time international employees, the H-1B (temporary worker) visa is usually the best means for them to enter the U.S. and obtain work permission. Before the employee can get a visa or work permission, the employer must file applications with both the U.S. Department of Labor and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The Center for International Education will be conducting an information and training session on the H-1B application process from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 3.

While the Center for International  Education is responsible for filing the government applications on behalf of UT and the Institute of Agriculture, the process begins in the hiring department. It is important for someone in that department to be familiar with the process and the relevant government regulations.

This session is intended for both those who are new to the process and experienced people who handle H-1B paperwork.

The session will cover:

  • Overview of the U.S. Government regulations and the process followed at UT.
  • Detailed  explanation and discussion of the forms and materials required.
  • Opportunity to ask questions and discuss complicated or problematic cases.

Light refreshments will be provided.

For more information or to RSVP, contact Wendy Syer, assistant director of the Center for International Education, at or 865-974-3177.