Skip to main content

Last week, Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek celebrated faculty, staff, and students for their accomplishments throughout the past academic year. Tennessee Today will be highlighting those who received recognition for their efforts to support the campus’s mission.

Several faculty members were recognized with the Excellence in Teaching Award.

DekayMark Dekay is an associate professor of architecture with a collaborative approach to teaching. He joined the university in 2001 after completing a Fulbright Fellowship at the Center of Environmental Planning and Technology in India. DeKay has taught courses in graduate design studio, advanced undergraduate design studios focused on sustainability, and seminars in green design, climatic design, and architectural technology.

DeKay brings a fresh approach to architectural studio instruction. A student nominator said, “The most memorable thing about his studio is the way that he insists on a positive collaborative environment. Everyone’s opinion matters and everyone has something to contribute.”

In 2011, he published a peer-reviewed book, Integral Sustainable Design: Transformative Perspectives. He is an honorary fellow of the Institute of Green Professionals.

PresserLois Presser, an associate professor of sociology, worked in criminal justice in New York City for ten years before moving into academia. She joined the Department of Sociology after receiving her doctorate in criminal justice from the University of Cincinnati.

Presser seeks “to inspire students to think broadly, deeply, and personally about social phenomena.” Three years ago, she redesigned the Society and Law course to give students the opportunity to propose topics and readings and to create their own rules and sanctions for the class.

“It is clear that she is continuing to push forward an innovative teaching agenda that continues to serve the department’s needs and those of students in excellent fashion,” said a nominator.

Presser’s latest book, Why We Harm, was published last year by Rutgers University Press.

SherfyAndrew Sherfy believes instructors have as much to gain from their students as students from instructors. A lecturer in biosystems engineering and soil science, he earned both his bachelor’s and master’s in soil science from UT.

He believes it is important to demonstrate to students that you are continually invested in their learning. “This shouldn’t be a challenge to us as instructors, because as those who value learning and education, we have so much to gain from our students. I learn from my students daily, and I want them to know that,” Sherfy said.

One of his students said Sherfy has all the attributes of a great teacher—a sense of humor, availability, and a way of letting students know how much he wants them to succeed—and added that his method of teaching is very realistic and concrete.

Sherfy coaches the university’s soil judging team, which competed earlier this year in the National Collegiate Soils Contest.

StevensBrian Stevens engages students with a mix of humor and know-how. A lecturer in statistics, operations, and management science, he is highly regarded for his enthusiasm, thoroughness, and appreciation for the material he teaches.

Knowing that attention fosters learning, Stevens applies a formula to his teaching: “Around 80 percent of class time must be spent assimilating and reinforcing relevant material while the other 20 percent is spent keeping students engaged.”

One student noted, “He is very attentive with communicating with students and his door is always open for help. The effort he puts toward all of his students is truly admirable.”