Skip to main content

Chancellor Jimmy G. CheekTo: UT Knoxville Campus Faculty and Staff
From: Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek
Subject: Employee Pay Raises

I am really pleased to tell you that the Board of Trustees passed a budget that will allow the Knoxville campus to give all eligible employees a 2 percent, across-the-board raise.

We also will use an additional 3 percent pool to reward our best performers and address internal equity issues.

This is great news and I want to thank the Governor, legislators, and our board members for supporting the top priority for our campus.

The across-the-board increase takes effect July 1 for all regular full-time and part-time staff and faculty with twelve-month appointments and on active payroll status on June 30.

Merit and equity increases also will be effective July 1, but employees will receive them in August. Nine-month faculty increases will be effective in August for those on active payroll status by July 31.

We appreciate your hard work and patience during the last several very challenging years. Your flexibility and input helped us to plan ahead and operate more efficiently to better deal with budget cuts that now total $60 million for the Knoxville campus.

Managers will receive specific guidelines for distributing the merit and equity pools within departments. Merit recommendations will be based on employees’ annual evaluations and overall job performance. Equity recommendations will focus on addressing internal compression. This describes situations in which two or more employees in a department have the same job title, similar education, experience, and performance, but a noticeable difference in salary.

As previously noted, full-time and part-time regular employees paid less than $8.50 per hour before July 1, 2011, will receive an automatic increase to $8.50 per hour. Eligible members of that group also will receive a 2 percent across-the-board increase or $500, whichever is greater. Eligible, full-time and part-time regular employees currently paid $8.50 per hour or more will receive a 2 percent across-the-board increase or $1,000, whichever is greater. Limited-duration employees who meet all other criteria are eligible for the raise. Graduate students will receive a 3.5 percent increase or $600, whichever is greater. Term employees and students will not receive the increase.

If you have questions about the compensation plans, talk with your supervisor or your department’s fiscal officer.

Thank you for all that you do for the university.

To: UT Knoxville Campus Faculty and Staff

From: Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek