The Advisory Board held its first meeting today in the newly opened Student Union.
UT Chancellor Wayne T. Davis led much of the inaugural meeting. Interim UT System President Randy Boyd and Governor Bill Haslam were in attendance.
Public members of the advisory board include Alexia Poe and Tom Smith of Nashville, John Tickle of Bristol, and Syreeta Vaughn and Tim Williams of Knoxville. The Faculty Senate appointee is Louis J. Gross, Chancellor’s Professor and Distinguished Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. The student appointee is Ovi Kabir, Student Government Association president.
During the meeting, the advisory board members:
- Reviewed and approved advisory board bylaws
- Elected Tickle as board chair
- Agreed that the assistant to the chancellor should serve as board secretary
- Appointed Kabir, a senior in political science, as the student member for this academic year and discussed the process for working with the SGA and Graduate Student Senate to appoint future student members
- Reviewed the current UT Knoxville budget
- Discussed possible meeting dates in mid-May and mid-October
The UT FOCUS Act, passed by the Tennessee General Assembly in April 2018, created an advisory board for each UT campus. The boards are charged with submitting recommendations to the UT System president on campus-level strategic plans, operating budgets, and tuition.
Amy Blakely (865-974-5034, email@example.com)