While the UT community is enjoying bragging rights for setting the GUINNESS WORLD RECORD yesterday for the largest human letter—a 4,223-person Power T—a few lucky students, faculty, and staff came away from yesterday’s event in Neyland Stadium with even more.
The record-breaking event was featured live on the Today show with weatherman Al Roker broadcasting live from the stadium.
Download photos and other images—including a high-resolution panoramic image that allows you to zoom in to see yourself in the T.
A variety of prizes were awarded at the event:
- Blaine Ziegler, a sophomore from Memphis who is majoring in biological sciences and plans to go to medical school, won a $5,000 scholarship from Today and PurePoint Financial.
- Emma Sopcak, a freshman from Jackson, Tennessee, who is majoring in nutrition, won a $5,000 scholarship funded by alumni donations, in honor of the alumni who helped form the T.
- The residents of Massey Hall won a pizza party with Coach Butch Jones for having the highest percentage of residents participate in the record-breaking event at Neyland Stadium. Residents will learn more details soon.
- Angela S. Pinkham, a sophomore in music, won a $50 gift card from Vol Dining.
- Brittany Fowler, assistant director of alumni affairs, won a $50 gift card from Vol Dining.
- Katelyn Luthi, a senior in mechanical engineering, won a $250 gift card from VolBooks.
Drawings will be held today for about 80 additional prizes from VolBooks and Vol Dining. Winners will be notified by email.