Faculty Appreciation Week begins today and continues through February 12 with a full slate of special events, including a campus-wide farewell party for Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek.
All faculty, staff, and students are invited to a reception to thank Chancellor Cheek and wish him well as he joins the faculty of the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies in the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences. The event will be held from 3:30 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, February 8, on the Tennessee Terrace of Neyland Stadium. (Enter Gate 19, go to third floor.)
Visit the Faculty Appreciation website frequently to read Faculty Footnotes—stories about selected faculty members from each college that highlight not only their teaching, research, and outreach, but also the life experiences, special interests, and personal passions that make them extraordinary. Use the website to learn about special Faculty Appreciation Week events and leave shout-outs for colleagues.
Here is a full list of the planned Faculty Appreciation Week events. Note that several of them require RSVPs if you want to attend:
Monday, February 6
- Faculty Appreciation Week Luncheon Featuring Bob Kronick—The Teaching and Learning Center will sponsor a luncheon, “University Assisted Community Schools. Lesson Learned: What Starts as a Bagel Ends up as a Pretzel” featuring Bob Kronick from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday, February 6, in the Stokely Hospitality Suite (Room 501) of the Haslam Business Building. Enjoy lunch and a poster session while learning and networking with fellow faculty. Register by February 1 here.
Tuesday, February 7
- Office of Research and Engagement Open House—Meet the expert staff and learn more about how they help faculty, staff, and students in its quest to achieve their research goals from 1 to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, February 7, in Blount Hall. Refreshments will be provided, and those who register here will receive a free gift.
- Distinguished Faculty Reception, 4:30–6:30 p.m., West Club of Neyland Stadium. Invitation only.
Wednesday, February 8
- Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek Farewell Party, 3:30 to 6 p.m., Tennessee Terrace.
- Men’s Basketball vs. Ole Miss, 6:30. Faculty and staff can present their UT ID at the arena box office any time before the game for two complimentary game tickets.
- Outside Mullingar, 7:30 p.m., Clarence Brown Theatre mainstage. Purchase $16 discount tickets by calling the theater box office (974-5161) between noon and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Thursday, February 9
- “Dig In: Unpacking the Curriculum With Cultural Objects”—The McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture will host a luncheon, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in its Decorative Experience Gallery. Enjoy lunch and conversation as you explore the museum and see how its collections can help deepen students’̍ grasp of curriculum and encourage collaboration. Space is limited. Register by February 6 here.
- Faculty Pub—The first gathering of the season will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, February 9, on the West Club of Neyland Stadium. Cash bar with discounted drinks during the first hour. Free appetizers. Limited parking available after 5 p.m. in Staff Lot 9. Door prizes donated by VolShop. RSVP here.
- Lady Vols basketball vs. Missouri, 7 p.m. Faculty and staff can present their UT ID at the arena box office any time before the game for two complimentary game tickets.
Friday, February 10
- “Dig In: Unpacking the Curriculum with Cultural Objects”—The McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture will host a luncheon, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in its Decorative Experience Gallery. Enjoy lunch and conversation as you explore the museum and see how its collections can help deepen students’̍ grasp of curriculum and encourage collaboration. Space is limited. Register by February 6 here.