Whether you stay in Knoxville or travel home, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Never leave your valuables unattended, including items in your vehicle.
- Do not trust others to watch your belongings.
- Remove any valuables from your room or office before leaving for break.
- Lock doors and windows in your apartment, residence hall room, house, or office and in your vehicle.
- Record serial numbers for your property as it could aid in recovery.
- Register your belongings with UTPD’s Operation Identification.
- Stop by Parking and Transit Services, 2121 Stephenson Drive, to get your bicycle registered for free.
- Use an appropriate bicycle lock and make sure to lock your bicycle on a bike rack in an area that is well-lit and has high pedestrian traffic.
- Park your vehicle in well-lit, high-traffic areas.
Whatever your plans, these tips can help reduce the risk of your belongings being stolen. If you see suspicious activity on campus, notify UTPD immediately at 865-974-3111.
You can also notify UTPD of suspicious activity through the Guardian app located within the UT app. You can send an anonymous tip to UTPD from the green “Send a Tip” button on the home screen. You can select a category then type a text message and attach photos if needed. UTPD will then respond promptly to the message through the app. It is not necessary to identify yourself in order to share a tip or message.
For more personal safety tips, visit the UT Police Department website.
If you do plan to stay on or near campus during the break, familiarize yourself with the T winter break schedule. The T will run on a limited schedule beginning December 10 and will not run December 24 through January 2.