The College of Communication and Information honored a notable graduate from each of its schools and programs at its campaign kickoff and award gala on Friday.
“On a daily basis, we’re keenly aware that we are preparing future leaders. But each year, when we pause to recognize a noteworthy alumnus or alumna from each of our programs, we are reminded of the importance of our work,” CCI Dean Mike Wirth said. “From newsrooms to boardrooms, from private companies to public sector positions, our CCI graduates are making an impact across the county. We are extremely proud of these alumni.”
This year’s honorees are:
- Advertising Alumnus of the Year: Erik Izo, a 1987 graduate who is now group creative director at mcgarrybowen in New York City
- Communication Studies Alumna of the Year: Tiffany M. Haverly, a 2008 graduate who is now communications director for US Representative Phil Roe
- Information Sciences Alumna of the Year: Gloria Sharrar, a 1982 graduate who is a retired senior vice president of technology and operations at Bank of America
- Journalism and Electronic Media Alumna of the Year: Knight Stivender, a 1999 graduate who is co-founder and CEO of Girls to the Moon and director of marketing and business development for Alcott Marketing Science
- Public Relations Alumna of the Year: Tiffany Utsman Carpenter, a 1996 graduate who is now associate vice president of marketing for the UT System
Also during the gala, the college’s highest honor—the Donald G. Hileman Alumni Award—went to Cathy Ackermann, president and CEO of Ackermann PR. Learn more about Ackermann being awarded the 2016 Hileman Award here.
The gala launched the public phase of the college’s $15 million fundraising campaign. Monies raised will go to additional named and endowed professorships, graduate fellowships, and merit- and need-based scholarships. Contributions will also advance strategic initiatives such as the college’s diversity and international programming. For more information about the campaign, see the news release.
Contribute to the college’s campaign here.
C O N T A C T:
Amy Blakely (865-974-5034, firstname.lastname@example.org)