In accordance with a new Tennessee law, Public Chapter 1066, UT has reallocated approximately $436,000 in the university’s 2016–17 fiscal year budget for scholarships to be awarded through a new minority engineering scholarship program.
Through the new one-year program, which will be called the Diversity Engineering Scholarship Program, the university will award scholarships to a single cohort of students beginning with the 2017–18 academic year in order to maximize the effectiveness of the funds for student recruitment purposes.
The awards will be allocated as four-year scholarships to ensure support for recipients throughout their undergraduate academic careers.
Recipients will be selected by the General Scholarship Committee in the Division of Enrollment Management.
- Recipients must be classified as a first-time entering students at UT Knoxville for Fall 2017.
- Recipients must be admitted to and enrolled full time (12+ credit hours) in a degree program in the Tickle College of Engineering or in Biosystems. Engineering in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources.
- Recipients may be classified as an in-state or out-of-state student.
- Recipients may be of any race or gender.
- For purposes of this scholarship program, the term “minority” will be defined consistently with the Vol Vision 2020 strategic plan.
Number of awards and amounts
- Awards vary from $3,000 to $6,000 per year for four years.
- Awards may be combined with other UT private and institutional scholarships.
- Recipients must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA each semester.
- Recipients must be continually enrolled as a full-time student (12+ credit hours) each fall/spring semester in a degree program in the Tickle College of Engineering or Biosystems Engineering in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources.
To receive the Diversity Engineering Scholarship, students must apply for admission by the December 15 regular admission deadline.
The priority admission deadline for competitive scholarships and honors is November 1.