When you arrive back to school in August, you’ll notice a few changes around campus. The most noticeable project will be the first phase of the new Student Union, scheduled to open in early June.
The first phase will feature the VolShop and VolTech stores, campus dining, and Career Services. The second phase will include additional campus dining, event and meeting spaces, and lounges, among other features.
The Carolyn P. Brown Memorial University Center closes later this month to make room for the second phase of the new Student Union, scheduled to open in 2018.
Areas of the University Center have already begun to close. Here is a timeline of all University Center closures and Student Union openings:
- Down Under Recreation closed on Sunday, April 26.
- Parking Services closed on Friday, May 1. The staff relocated permanently to the main Parking Services office, located at 2121 Stephenson Drive.
- The last day to eat at Smokey’s, Rocky Top Cafe, and Starbucks is Tuesday, May 5. Subway, Chick-fil-A, Sushi Wok, and Starbucks will open in the Student Union on Monday, June 1.
- UT’s post office, Central Ticket Office, and UCopy will close on Tuesday, May 5. All three offices will re-open in Greve Hall on Monday, May 11.
- University Center reservations will end on Friday, May 8. The Event Services Office will move to the Panhellenic Building and re-open Monday, May 11.
- UT Federal Credit Union will close on Friday, May 22. The credit union will have an ATM along with First Tennessee, Bank of America, and SunTrust in the first phase of the Student Union. Space has been allocated for a bank branch in the second phase.
- SweetShop concessions will close on Saturday, May 23.
- VolBooks and VolTech will close on Friday, May 8. The rest of the VolShop and VolSnacks will close on Saturday, May 23. The shops will re-open in the Student Union on Monday, June 1.
- Career Services is moving out of their current location starting today and into their new space in the Student Union. Disability Services will then take over the former Career Services space on the first floor of Dunford Hall.
- The Center for Student Engagement, the Center for Leadership and Service, the Student Union Administrative Offices, and the Student Government Association will begin moving their offices to the second and third floors of Dunford Hall on Thursday, May 14.
For more information on the Student Union construction project, visit Cone Zone.