While most students at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, took trips to beaches in Florida or South Carolina last spring, Mackenzie Higgins saw two of the Seven Wonders of the World.
Higgins, a senior in global studies and Spanish, was studying at the Universidad del Salvador in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and in her free time, visited Machu Picchu and Iguazú Falls. She also traveled to Chile and Peru, as well as San Martin de los Andes, Mendoza, and San Luis in Argentina.
When she wasn’t in class or traveling, she ate a lot of empanadas and watched a lot of soccer.
She said her study abroad experience was wonderful and said speaking Spanish every day improved her ability to communicate abroad.
This semester, Higgins is back at UT and working as a peer advisor in the Programs Abroad Office.
She and other peer advisors will be available to talk about their experiences at the Fall 2012 Study Abroad Fair. The fair will be held from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 26 in the University Center Ballroom.
Interested students can learn about semester-long, year-long, summer and mini-term study abroad programs. There also will be information about summer internships.
Students who have studied abroad and faculty members who lead summer and mini-term programs will be on hand to answer questions. Students can find out more about scholarships and how to use financial aid for a study abroad program.
Finalists’ photos in the Programs Abroad Office photography contest will be on display, and students can vote for their favorites. Past years’ winners can be seen in the Photo Gallery at studyabroad.utk.edu.
Students can also visit with peer advisors anytime to learn more about studying abroad. They are available from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, in the Programs Abroad Office resource room. Daily informational meetings are held at 2:00 p.m.
Here’s a look at the newest group of PAO peer advisors:
- Jenna Constantine is a junior in kinesiology. She studied at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia, in spring 2012.
- Simona Koumtcheva studies international business. She spent a year at the University of Nottingham in England.
- Liza Musick is a senior in global studies and political science. She studied at the University of Botswana in spring 2012. She said her favorite part of living in Botswana was getting to go on safaris and experiencing a culture different from her own.
- William Shows is a senior in global studies. He spent spring 2012 at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, Spain. He also spent summer in Uganda, on the Gulu Service and Study Abroad Program, which focused on peace-building in northern Uganda.
- Ron Walters is a fifth-year senior studying English literature, French, and global studies. He spent a year in Chambery, France, in the French Alps.
- Roston Willis is a senior in public relations. He studied international law and Japanese at the University of Japan in spring 2012. He was an assistant English teacher at the university and joined several campus groups.
C O N T A C T :
Amy Blakely (865-974-5034, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Holly Gary (865-974-2225, email@example.com)