KNOXVILLE—”Do Deutsch!,” this year’s October celebration of all things German, continues at UT Knoxville with “Do Deutsch!” Week, October 10-14.
Starting in late August, a series of creativity contests were held on campus relating to the theme “German(y) in Your Life.” The contests included writing an essay, creating a graphic art or sculpture, making a film or video, writing a poem or song, and making a speech. Each entry was to explore an element of Germany, such as its culture, its language, or its influence on America.
The campus community is invited to vote online for winners in each of the five categories by visiting http://www.dodeutsch.utk.edu/olympiad/vote.shtml. The deadline for voting has been extended to 5:00 p.m. Friday, October 7. Voters will be eligible to enter a drawing for prizes such as sports memorabilia and event tickets.
During “Do Deutsch!” Week, the contest winners will be announced. The winner in each competition will receive prizes, and will have the chance to compete at the national level for the opportunity to win a trip to Berlin, Germany.
Other events scheduled during the week include:
- an online German scavenger hunt from October 6 to October 11
- outdoor screenings of the films Metropolis and Bandits, in German with English subtitles, at the HSS Amphitheater
- outdoor games at the Pedestrian Mall
- a career fair in the Black Cultural Center
- a German-themed menu at the Ready for the World Café
- an International House Global Hour discussion on “Germany’s Role within the European Union”
- life-size cutouts of famous Germans including Martin Luther, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, and Angela Merkel
- a stage reading of the German opera Penthesilea in the Hodges Library Auditorium
- Octoberfest at Circle Park.
The UT Knoxville Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures is sponsoring the events, in connection with UT Knoxville’s Ready for the World Initiative, departments and units throughout campus, and the German Embassy to the United States.
For the full schedule of “Do Deutsch!” Week events, visit http://www.dodeutsch.utk.edu/week/schedule.shtml.
Stefanie Ohnesorg (865-974-7098, firstname.lastname@example.org)