Skip to main content

Chancellor Loren CrabtreeTo: UT Knoxville Faculty, Students and Staff
From: Chancellor Loren Crabtree
Subject: Strategic Planning — The Pursuit of Excellence

Never before in the history of our campus have we attracted better students, a more accomplished faculty, and more professional staff and administrators. While we celebrate the considerable achievements of the past few years, we cannot be content. Our goal for this university is simple — to become one of our nation’s best public research universities — and in doing so improve the lives of the citizens of Tennessee, our nation, and our world.

As you are aware, we continue to work with the UT System to resolve ongoing management issues, with an eye toward a March 2008 deadline. At the same time, our focus must and will remain centered on academic excellence and on building that great public research university.

Today we are launching a comprehensive strategic planning process that anticipates significant change and I am seeking to enlist your support and participation. I have charged Provost Bob Holub to lead this initiative and to engage our faculty, students, staff, deans and vice chancellors in the process. We expect to have the plan in place before the end of the spring semester.

As I have said to many of you, this is a fine university, but as the flagship it is too small to fulfill all our obligations to the people of Tennessee. Our growth must focus not only on student numbers, but also on new levels of academic achievement. We must expand our faculty and staff. We need new facilities for teaching, research, student housing, and recreation. The pursuit of these goals can only be accomplished through a shared vision and commitment.

Together, we will create a 21st century sustainable campus firmly committed to academic and scholarly excellence.

I anticipate hearing from many of you as we set this ambitious and exciting course. The Vice Chancellors and I look forward to your insights, passion and creativity as we craft a path to the future.