KNOXVILLE — The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, welcomes back alumni for Homecoming this week.
UT’s Alumni Affairs, All Campus Events and Minority Student Affairs, among other campus organizations, have planned many events for the week.
This year’s theme for Homecoming is “Smokey’s Bayou Bash,” and fittingly, the Volunteers host Louisiana-Lafayette at 4 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 3.
“Party in the Park” begins at noon and lasts until kickoff Saturday in Circle Park. There will be music, door prizes, face painting and more. Admission is free.
Another main event is “Celebrating Our Heroes: Past and Present,” a special reception and dinner for all military alumni and friends from all branches, including reserves and National Guard, at 6:30 p.m., Friday, Nov. 2. Alumni Affairs has been trying to build a database of alumni and friends who served in the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard and reserves.
All Campus Events organizes a series of events throughout the week, including the Homecoming Parade at 4 p.m. on Friday.
The Black Cultural Programming Committee sponsors the Homecoming Comedy Explosion at 8 p.m. Friday at the Knoxville Civic Center. The Love United Gospel Choir also is celebrating its 30th anniversary this weekend.
Here are some events for Homecoming:
Tuesday, Oct. 30
• 8 a.m., Miss Homecoming online voting begins. Voting ends at noon, Thursday, Nov. 1.
• 3:30 p.m., Soap Box Derby, along Volunteer Boulevard.
Wednesday, Oct. 31
• 7 p.m., “Smokey’s Howl” competition, Tom Black Track. If rain, will be held in Cox Auditorium in Alumni Memorial Building. “Anything Goes” will be held during the judges’ deliberations for “Smokey’s Howl.”
Friday, Nov. 2
• 1 p.m., UT Army ROTC Alumni and Cadets Reunion, Hospitality Room at the Marriott Hotel. Contact Keith Shields, (865) 603-9750 or visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/volarmy/.
• 4 p.m., Homecoming Parade, along Volunteer Boulevard beginning at the Rock. All military alumni and friends are invited to participate. All orange and white vehicles are welcome.
• 5 p.m., Love United Gospel Choir hospitality and registration, Black Cultural Center.
• 5:15 p.m., Pep Rally and “Smokey’s Howl” finals, Tom Black Track. If rain, will be held in the Music Building auditorium.
• 6 p.m., College of Social Work Seventh Annual Homecoming Gala, Rothchild Catering and Conference Center. Contact Karla Edwards, (865) 974-6693.
• 6:30 p.m., “Celebrating Our Heroes: Past and Present” reception. Dinner follows at 7 p.m. Calhoun’s on the River. The keynote speaker is Lt. Gen. R.A. Tiebout, U.S. Marines, retired. Entertainment is provided by The Brad Walker Orchestra. Contact Phyllis Moore, (865) 974-3011.
• 8 p.m., Homecoming Comedy Explosion 2007, Knoxville Civic Center. Tickets available at Tickets Unlimited
locations or (865) 656-4444.
• 10 p.m., Party at Magnolia Café with the Black Alumni Associates.
• 10 p.m., UT Army ROTC Alumni and Cadets Reunion, Hospitality Room, Marriott Hotel.
Saturday, Nov. 3
• 9 a.m., Love United Gospel Choir Breakfast, Black Cultural Center.
• 10 a.m., Homecoming Tailgate, Car Show and Festival, Black Cultural Center. Sponsored by the BCPC, MAP, BET, BGPSA.
• Noon, Party in the Park, Circle Park.
• Noon, College of Engineering Annual Alumni Homecoming Barbecue, courtyard of Ferris and Perkins halls. Contact Peg Schneider, (865) 974-2779.
• 1 p.m., College of Law Barbecue, College of Law front patio. Contact Jennifer Thompson, (865) 974-6691.
• 2 p.m., Pre-Game Faculty Showcase, “A Musical Odyssey: Drumming, Dancing and Singing,” presented by Marvelene Moore, professor of music education, University Center Ballroom.
• 2 p.m., Alumni Band Picnic. Contact Judy Dooley, (865) 974-5031.
• 4 p.m., Tennessee vs. Louisiana-Lafayette.
• One hour after end of game, UT Army ROTC Alumni and Cadets Reunion, Hospitality Room, Marriott Hotel.
• 8 p.m., Eighth Annual Stompfest, Knoxville Civic Center. Purchase tickets at Tickets Unlimited locations or (865) 656-4444.
• 9 p.m., Black Alumni Reunion Social, Marriott Hotel. Contact Phyllis Moore, (865) 974-3011.
Sunday, Nov. 4
• 1 p.m., Love United Gospel Choir Brunch, University Center.
• 3 p.m., Love United Gospel Choir Reunion Concert, University Center auditorium. Contact Jocelyn Milton, (865) 974-4738.
Elizabeth Davis, UT media relations, (865) 974-5179, email@example.com
Phyllis Moore, (865) 974-3011, firstname.lastname@example.org